Message from the Fire Chief
Richmond Fire-Rescue (RFR) is a progressive, professional and proud group of individuals all of whom are dedicated to creating the safest environment possible for the people who live, work, visit and play in the City of Richmond.
It is my honour and a privilege to lead the women and men of Richmond Fire-Rescue into a new era.
RFR is an excellent fire department filled with people who are driven to bring their best performance to work on an everyday basis. With our team committing to the shared vision created within this guiding document, I am sure that we will achieve our goal of being the best fire department in Canada and contribute greatly to our City being the most appealing, livable and well managed community in Canada.
I look forward to working with our Council, Senior Managers, International Association of Firefighters Local 1286 and RFR staff over the upcoming Council Term to achieve the goals of the City, RFR and all of our individual team members.
We’re welcoming a new era.
We act as an effective team to proactively protect and enhance the City’s livability by serving and educating our community, preventing harm and responding to emergencies.
To be the best fire department in Canada.
You come first.
Commitment to our community is our priority. We believe in creating fair, respectful, supportive and inclusive spaces.
We reflect this belief in our community by:
- Putting people first
- Listening and learning with compassion
- Championing our community’s needs
We strive to be the best.
Everything we do is intended to achieve excellence, in all parts of our organization. Every day is an opportunity for us to go the extra mile to deliver for our community.
We demonstrate excellence through:
- Focusing on customer service
- Practicing continuous improvement
- Being accountable and taking responsibility for ourselves and our work
Everyone is a leader. Including you.
We believe that every person on our team can lead themselves and others, by example.
Quality leadership is demonstrated by every person in Richmond Fire-Rescue, through behaviours that reflect:
- Honesty, integrity and respect between our team and our community
- Effective and open communication
- Empowerment and commitment to our purpose
We know firsthand that the power of a good team can save lives and shape a safer future for Richmond.
We are all one team; there are no silos. We succeed, learn and work together to achieve our vision through:
- Focusing on our common goals
- Demonstrating concern for fellow team members
- Building on our strengths and collective knowledge
The way forward.
Innovation is the key to our success. Our vision is created together –– and new ideas are always welcomed here.
We work collaboratively, both internally and externally, to be innovative, responsive leaders within the municipal government in a rapidly changing world. We do this by:
- Challenging the status quo
- Learning from others and from past experiences
- Taking well-managed risks and unleashing our creativity