Font Size: |


How do you know if you need a permit from the fire department? Find out when it’s needed and what’s required to obtain one.

What activities require permits?

Permits from Richmond Fire-Rescue are required when social, agricultural or construction activities occur, which may pose fire hazards.

Permits are intended to notify the fire department of these hazards or safety considerations. 

We inspect and approve proposed large community events that are open to the public, have large stage displays, may use fireworks, special effects or pyrotechnics, and/or feature food trucks (or live cooking) on site, to ensure the venue fulfils fire safety requirements and provides a safe environment to the community. 

NOTE: Please allow for a minimum of two weeks processing time for all permits.

What activities require permits?

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

Fireworks Display and Special Effects Permits

Apply for a Fireworks/Pyrotechnic Display Permit

Firework displays and special effects are only permitted to be conducted by licensed Fireworks Display Supervisors and Senior Pyrotechnicians. An associated permit fee is applied.

For more information on Firework Regulations, please review the Fire and Life Safety Bylaw 8306.

NOTE: Richmond Fire-Rescue issues permits for all fireworks displays and special effects on private and City-owned property in Richmond.

For permits pertaining to special effects related to filming on City-owned property, please contact the City’s Film and Major Event Liaison to initiate the application process at

To apply for a Fireworks permit please complete the following steps in order. (TEST BRIAN TEST)

1. Download and fill out the application from the link to the right.

2. Complete the form and then save it to your computer.

3. Drag and Drop the completed form into the box on the right.

Fill in your email address

Submit the form.

You will receive a copy of the form to the email you submitted.

Thank for your application.

Click or drag a file to this area to upload.

Outdoor Burning Permits

Outdoor Burning Permits

Outdoor burning at any time of the year poses significant health and safety hazards to our community.

As a result, you require two permits: one from Richmond Fire-Rescue, and one from Metro Vancouver.

Step 1: Apply for an Outdoor Burn Permit from RFR

Open air burning for agricultural purposes is only permitted on agricultural lands between October 1 and April 30, with a permit issued by Richmond Fire-Rescue.

NOTE: Richmond Fire-Rescue may cancel any Open Burning Permit at any time, due to non-compliant conditions on the property and are subject to Richmond Fire-Rescue fees.

Step: 2 Apply for Open Burning Approval from Metro Vancouver

Applicants are also required to obtain Open Burning Approval from Metro Vancouver.

Have you checked if your backyard burning device is permitted? 

Any outdoor burning device is only permitted to burn natural gas, charcoal or propane. 

When purchasing any outdoor burning device, residents should refer to the City of Richmond Fire Protection and Life Safety Bylaw No. 8306.

Fuel Tank Installation/Removal Permits

Fuel Tank Installation/Removal Permits

Apply for a Fuel Tank Installation/Removal Permit

All above and below ground flammable or combustible fuel tanks require a permit prior to installation or removal.